Tourist Guide to North Carolina's outer banks

1. Introduction

Distant and removed a thin strip of interconnected bar & # 39; ernyh islands stretching some 130 miles along the coast of North Carolina and forms the outer banks, rather, with the & # 39 are part of the Atlantic than the continent to which they attach a bridge, bridges and ferries . Islands and sand dunes which are watered and flowing sometimes evil winds, similar to a boat, which seek, they serve as a threshold to North America – or at the end of it – depending on the direction of travel.

A trip here, a certain dry or lack thereof, may result in sailing, fishing, kayaking, water skiing, paragliding, deltaplanavanne, kite-surfing, climbing, dolphin watching and surfing on the sand. Most of all, however, it is a first – the first English colonists who leave footprints in the sand, the first aviators who leave footprints in the sand, when they defeated the flight, and the sea and the dunes, and the wind that made it possible.

2. From the mountains to the shores

Although the flat, marshy islands and slit outer coast could not be more opposed vzvyshaemym Appalachia, rising in the west, it is from these peaks they passed and turned into their third gear.

Rivers, which constitute the totality of the rain water running down from the east they dramatically with falling edge of the second or lower topographical features of R & # 39; Repairing. Outside the coastal currents, which can then act and lyapyats as clay, their precipitate which is removed from the origin of this mountain of 25,000 years ago, creating a bar & # 39; ernyya island and its water beaches, rapids.

Since the flow is not only static, unchanging their forces continue to change and to change the island masterpieces, as they are immutable peraroblennyu hands of wind and water. This dynamic with & # 39; & # reality with 39 is very important for their protective nature, as they guard a permanent mainland, and as shock absorbers, they often find the brunt of hurricanes and other severe weather systems.

These sounds are created and defined the forces of nature, form the second largest system in the United States after esturynav Chesapik Bay, which covers nearly 3,000 square miles and drains 30,000 square miles of water.

"The thin, broken string of islands", according to the National Park Service, "is bent into the Atlantic and back again in a shelter embrace the mainland coast of North Carolina and the islands of the sea."

3. Access and Orientation

External banks are made up of North Beach, with cities such as Kitty Hawk, Murder D & # 39; Devil Hills and Nags Heads; Roanoke Island; and Cape Hateras consisting of the islands of Bodie, Hateras and Akrakok.

Scheduled airline services are provided at the airports, and release Norfolk-Durham, respectively located in Virginia and North Carolina, and the charter fight are in the regional county airport Deir at Roanoke Island. Private jet air service serving the first flight on the territory of Kill Devil Hills and Billy Mitchell Airport on the island of Hateras.

On the way, External Bank serves 158 US dollars, and the Wright Memorial from the north and US 64 over 5.2 mi Memorial Bridge Virginia Dore, Roanoke Island, Nags head-Mothe Kausuey and Bridge Washington Baum from the west. From the north, the route leads to a four-lane artery 158 US dollars and passes the island 16.5 miles, access to shops, retail outlets, restaurants and attractions. Narrower Dvuhugolnoe NC 12, which is also known as the "Beach Road", maintains residential communities, hotels and restaurants, often with views of the Atlantic. The same road is moving around the island, and after additional Hateras go to the island Akrakok.

4. Kitty Hawk

In spite of the consensus and the books of aviation history on the contrary, all at Kitty Hawk was a place for the world's first successful flight, but the Wright brothers remained in the village. Instead, a historic event took place about four miles to the south of it, in the city of Kill Devil Hills. Nevertheless, there are still welcome center in aeronautics, offering brochures and information about planning trips to area attractions, restaurants, entertainment, shops and hotels.

A memorial monument to the century of flight, it was created by Icarus International and dedicated to November 8, 2003, in the centenary of the power of flight, to celebrate the history, beauty and mysteries of flight and the rise of the human spirit. Mounted against the open sky Kitty Hawk to create a contemplative atmosphere, the monument itself consists of 14 pylons made of stainless steel in the shape of the wing that are raised from ten to 20 feet to 120 feet in orbit to reflect the distance of the first flight of the Wright brothers' December 17, 1903 and imagine the rise of a man to the sky and space.

"Humanity – a continuum of pioneers", said the monument, "sharing the eternal dream and limitless possibilities of huge unexplored worlds."

On the black granite panels engraved with the 100 most important aviation achievements of the last century and in the center of the dome with a diameter of six feet reflects the continents of the earth, and the words "If Orville rose from the sands of Kitty Hawk at 10: 35 am on December 17, 1903 we went to the moon and on. "

5. Kill d & # 39; yabalskiya hills

Of course, Kill Devil Hills – this place is the world's first power, controlled and sustained flight, and the Wright Brothers National Memorial, apparently from 158 US pays tribute to him.

Although the Wrights were raised in Dayton, Ohio, they spent all the early experiments without aircraft (airframe) and Power (aircraft) flight in North Carolina because they offered the highest dunes to run down, the wind to create a recovery with minimum ground speed, soft sand to land without wheels, the minimum damage and isolation from the media and spectators.

According to museum visitors centers, sports artifacts which were 1902 planning and reproduction of the Wright Flyer of 1903 calls and the National Park of the program, as well as the book / gift shop – the brothers were inspired and developed their projects on aerodynamic principles established by four earlier pioneers: sir George Cayley (1773-1857), who created the very foundation of aerodynamics; Alphonse fines (1850-1880), which is constructed with elastic planafonav model flying 131 feet thereon; Lilienthal (1848-1896), who conducted extensive experiments on the gliders; and Octave Chanute (1832-1910), who became virtual raschyshchalnym hub for all development related to aviation, and published them in the book "Progress of flying machines". In fact, biplanavy Glider Wright brothers was its virtual copy.

According to the museum, a memorial to the & # 39 is the birthplace of aviation. "December 17, 1903 Wilbur and Orville made the first successful flight in world history", – he said. "Wrights believed that human flight is possible and can be achieved through systematic study."

This systematic approach combined with their intuitive mechanical ability and analytical intellect has allowed them to understand that the rise opposite the weight and it attracted the opposite of war, but more importantly, this flight could win only by controlling its three lateral, longitudinal and vertical axes. This misunderstanding has led to the failure of all previous experimenters.

Creating a control surface to tame them and thus preserve the stability of the aircraft, they were able to turn their miserable gliders subjected to hundreds of walking starts from the neighboring mountains Kill Devil Hill, into a successful Wright Flyer.

Two buildings are reconstructed camp of the Wright brothers in 1903 that left the hangar, and the right of their workshop and living quarters with a stove, a crude kitchen, storage area and a table and a ladder for access to the lines that hang from the rafters, which are served their bunks.

Commemorative granite boulder marks the point of take-off four successful flights of December 17, 1903, and the markers positioned on the field, show the distance and the amount of each of the air time required to achieve them.

Taking control of the Wright Flyer, while Wilbur served as his "ground crew" and stabilize the wings, Orville razvyavsya with runway runs at 10:35 at that historic day, covering 120 feet in 12 seconds, and the next attempt Wilbur pilotavav for many times he has covered 175 feet. The penultimate battle flew 200 feet in 15 seconds, and the last, and longest, a run of 852 feet in 59 seconds, followed by damage to the aircraft, as well as the difficulty out & # 39; I'm at the end of the season, eliminated further testing, and the brothers returned to Ohio .

According to the boulders, established by the National Association of Aeronautics United States December 17, 1928 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the event, "The first successful airplane flight was made from this place Orville December 17, 1903 in a car designed and built by Wilbur and Orville Wright" .

Former Sea sand and dunes, which stretched from the first boulder, still operated by the wind as much as it was in terms of Wright gliders and powerful structures, has now been replaced by a tilted green field, but the aerodynamic forces invisibly cleared the tender tips of his grass still made them zazihats in memory, perhaps this event for more than a century.

The lag from the take-off point, the designated home track, the fourth and most distant marker, requires a quick walk from the legs, which man was endowed with, but in 1903 it was covered with wings, which were birds. endowed. Thus, Wrights successfully crossed the human and animal species, prayavivshysya like a machine.

60-foot monument erected in the 90th futovay now grass-covered sand dunes of Kill Devil Hill, opposite the airport The first flight from the runway to 3,000 feet, is the starting point of hundreds of flights at Wright aircraft without permission.

"… the sand is quite dazzles us" – they wrote at the time. "It is blowing through the land in the clouds. We certainly can not complain about the place. We came here on the wind and the sand, and we got them."

Full-size sculpture of stainless steel "Wright Flyer", located on the back side of the hill in its foundation and weighs much more than the original plane at 10,000 pounds, reflecting the historic first flight with photographer John Daniel with local rescue station is about to remove a single photo.

Centennial Hall, in the parking lot of a & # 39; the joint visitor center, museum and space flights, offers movies, aviation and aviation exhibits.

6. legs Head

Just a few miles south of Kill Devil Hills, Nags head, there is another associated with the flight environment – state park Jok-Hrest.

One of 35 state parks in North Carolina and four recreation areas that stretch from Mount Mitchell – the highest peak in the West – to the ridge Jockey in the east, 425 acres has the highest sand dunes on the coast, which for many years, ranged in height from 90 up to 110 feet.

It visited the center there is a museum with pictures of the dunes and its evolution, as well as exposure of the territory of the flora and fauna, and two hiking trails provide an exposition of the park firsthand: a 45-minute Soundside Nature Trail and 1.5 km to the sand. But its value is indisputable and dune itself, and she & # 39 is synonymous slip. The fact that Kill Devil Hills was the birthplace of the power of flight, was also Nags Head for unauthorized personal flight, because sport is evidenced in many of its roots.

Francis horns as the Wright brothers, who preceded him for almost five decades, has laid the foundation of sport and therefore is considered the "father of the modern hang glider." In an effort to make flying affordable and accessible to all, in 1948 he took to the skies on a makeshift glider, whose wings were collected from kitchen curtains wife, saying: "My intention was to give everyone the opportunity to experience flight first-hand."

In the wake of Wright on the sand until they disappeared in the sky, he used the same methods run down, less than five miles away from those that are used in Kill Devil Hills.

Kitty Hawk Kites, serving Jockey Ridge and was established in 1974, teaches and this launch legs and procedures towed glider, and today with the & # 39 is the largest of such summer schools in the world that has more than 300 000 students .

Initial Certified lessons taught by instructors entail ground instruction, launch dunes and sliding at an altitude of five to 15 feet.

Performance on a hang glider, the longest of the competition glider, held annually in May, the jockey ridge.

7. Island Roanoke

Involved between the northern beaches and the mainland banks Upper Dere, Roanoke Island, eight miles long and two miles wide – is the site of the first English settlement in the New World and has several attractions for its interpretation.

Manteo, its commercial and government center – it's quaint, waterfront town of artists, fishermen, taverns, bed, breakfast, cafe, souvenir shops, galleries, restaurants, walkways and 53 moving the pier in the bay Shallobag and its history reflects the names of streets, such as Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Sir Walter release Street.

Named in honor of the Croatan, returned from the first English explorers in the late 16th century and was registered in 1899 as a city, it offers several of its own attractions. For example, Magnolia Market – an open air pavilion, which is used for the city-sponsored events. Tranquil House Inn, located on the Avenue of Queen Elizabeth, recalls the majestic hotel on the seashore of the 19th century "The top banks" with trees with Cypress, beveled stained glass, the back porch overlooking the bay, the canopy with a canopy, a continental breakfast, lunch and wine cheese and by its own 1587, restaurant.

Another attraction – the Maritime Museum of North Carolina, the main outpost in Beaufort and is situated in the boat of George Washington Kryf overlooking the Croatan Sound. Before the fire in 1939 this area was the site of lodkabudavnichay Manteo industry, and the following year a son Kryfa was built by the son Kryfa to repair boats that developed by his father, and later became the official ship of state.

More shop than a museum, it gives visitors the opportunity to observe how the mainly volunteer staff restore and restore wooden housing, although the mattress at the exhibition, as well as other memorabilia.

The sidewalk leading to the other attractions of the city – the lighthouse Roanoke. External reconstruction of the area, cottage style, twisted beacons, which conducted the ships through the narrow channel between the Pamlico and Kroatanam sounds on the south side of the island in an area called "Swamp Roanoke" from 1877 to 1955 year, but swallowed with water during migration attempts.

The current replica with a fixed white light of a fourth-order Fresnel lens was dedicated in 2004, during which Mayor John Wilson said: "In the coming years, as the islanders are associated with visitors along the promenade Motte, let us remember that, in this place, where it was built and launched so many ships, dreams still light the way … beacon is now throws its beam into the soothing night sky … "

Photos and artifacts of the lighthouse and maritime history can be explored inside.

Quick journey on the Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Cora Mae bridge leading to the festival park on Roanoke Island, 25 acres of outdoor living historical complex, which marks the first English settlement in America with several recreation.

For example, the American Indian city reflects algonkviyav coastal culture that flourished on the island of Roanoke and the surrounding areas for thousands of years until the 1500s, and nomadic hunters at this time of life style has become more sedentary, agricultural.

No written language existed. As a result, the accounts of British researchers discovered the archaeological remains in the region, and the oral tradition of stories and crafts created the foundation for the park exhibits.

Under the rule of Queen Elizabeth I, the original expedition organized by Sir Walter release, but the outbreak of Captain Arthur Barlow and scientist Thomas Haryo, arrived at the shores of the New World in 1584 and both recorded their impressions of the land which they had hoped to colonize. Reproduction of a small Indian city is the type with which they are met.

Basic structure in any locality Algonkian was the home of the "privilege" or "leader", and he padrazdyalyavsya at the inner perimeter, which was intended for the public and serving area guests and entertainment, as well as interior rooms where functioning private, for example, held a meeting on high-level and family-friendly activities.

Several British researchers met Granganimea wife, a local leader, and then taken to the outer perimeter of the room of the house where they were warmed by fire, while his feet washed and washed clothes before you bring him into the inner room for a feast.

Another typical structure of the settlement was a lighthouse. Support Dust seedlings, bark which has been relaxed from young trees, assumes a curved roof, to reduce the vulnerability to the wind, and its pillars bound with cord. Then it was coated with base reeds or tangles.

Маты ці шкуры жывёл аднолькава закрывалі невялікія дзвярныя праёмы, каб паменшыць страты цяпла.

Іншыя дамы, зоны для падрыхтоўкі ежы і прыгатавання ежы, а таксама працоўныя прытулкі атачалі маяк, а звычайна на тэрыторыі вырошчвалі кукурузу і іншыя клямары.

Населеныя пункты звычайна падтрымлівалі ад 100 да 200 вяскоўцаў і былі вызвалены, калі зямля, на якой яны размяшчаліся, ужо не апрацоўвалася, хаця за дзесяцігоддзе паміж закідам і пераакупацыяй звычайна аднаўлялася яе прыдатнасць.

Індыйскае жыццё дадаткова ілюструецца экспанатамі для падрыхтоўкі ежы, падрыхтоўкай ежы, зямлянкамі і рыбалоўнымі балотамі.

Магчыма, галоўным момантам фестывальнага парку на востраве Роанок з'яўляецца прышвартаваны і бачны карабель Элізабэт II, экіпаж якога, як і астатнія яго сайты, касцюмаваны перакладчыкамі.

Пабудаваная ў 1983 годзе ў марскім музеі Паўночнай Караліны праз заліў, рэпліка, агульная даўжыня ў 69 футаў і шырыня 17 футаў, з'яўляецца кампазіцыяй распаўсюджаных тагачасных трохматорных гандлёвых караблёў. Уяўляючы тып, першапачаткова пабудаваны для перавозкі другой, альбо 1585 г., каланістаў экспедыцыі пасля таго, як Томас Кавендзіш заклаў яго маёнтак для фінансавання яго, судна, ушаноўваючы 400-годдзе гэтай падзеі, у сваім кілі выкарыстоўвае ружованую ядлоўцу і драгую саранчу. , каркас і дошкі. Хоць адносна невялікі карабель, 50-тонны водазмяшчэнне і 65-футовая асноўная мачта, быў у асноўным прызначаны для еўрапейскіх гандлёвых плаванняў, ён у роўнай ступені перасякаў адкрытыя моры.

У перыяд з 1584 па 1590 год было праведзена восем ангельскіх экспедыцый, якія прынялі ўдзел 22 караблі і 1200 салдат, маракоў і асаднікаў (у тым ліку 28 жанчын і дзяцей).

На тэрыторыі паселішча комплексу, які ўяўляе сабой першую ангельскую вайсковую на амерыканскай зямлі, ёсць палатка сяржанта, кавальская і кавальская майстэрні, такарны станок, наладжаны вяроўкай і вяроўкай, і пагон.

Акрамя гэтых экспанатаў, парк фестываляў на востраве Роанок таксама займае цэнтр наведвальнікаў; фільм "Легенда пра двухбаковы шлях"; музей прыгод Роанок; і значная крама сувеніраў.

Хроніка першых ангельскіх пасяленцаў расказваецца пра іншую важную славутасць вострава Роанок, Нацыянальны гістарычны помнік Форт-Ролі.

Хоць сам сэр Уолтар Рэлі ніколі не ступіў у Новы Свет, каралева Лізавета I атрымала статут, як ужо гаварылася, у 1584 годзе пачаць першае з трох так званых "падарожжаў на Раанок" у Амерыку, каб выбраць сайт для каланізацыя, стварыць лагер, з якога можна будзе адпраўляць набегі на іспанскія караблі і шукаць каштоўныя металы, такія як золата. Ён прыбыў у ліпені.

Пасля вяртання ў Англію было вырашана, што востраў, з-за ахоўных берагоў, быў аптымальным месцам, і яго зямля была вельмі добразычлівай, як гэта выказаў капітан Артур Барлоў у сваім дакладзе сэр Вальтэру Ролі.

"Мы палічылі гэта самай прыемнай і ўрадлівай зямлёй," пісаў ён, "папоўніўшыся добрымі кедрамі і разнастайнымі іншымі салодкімі лясамі, поўнымі парэчкі, лёну і мноствам прыкметных тавараў … Глеба самая багатая, мілая, плённым і карысным для ўсяго свету ".

Другая экспедыцыя, накіраваная ў наступным годзе са 108 салдатамі, мела намер паставіць канчатковае патрабаванне Англіі.

Насустрач гэтаму больш пастаяннаму населенаму пункту на паўночным баку вострава быў пабудаваны земляны замак, але зніжэнне ранейшых сяброўскіх адносін з індзейцамі адбылося, калі яны пачалі паддавацца ангельскім хвароб і ўзімку, наўрад ці гэтак багатыя Збожжавыя культуры і харчаванне ў цёплы час года прымушалі асаднікаў станавіцца ўсё больш залежнымі ад індзейцаў, пакуль адносіны не сталі напружанымі. Забойства начальніка Вінгіна, самая галоўная падзея ў гісторыі маладзецкай калоніі, апячатала лёс еўрапейцаў, і яны ад гэтага часу былі абвешчаны "ворагамі".

Абяцаныя караблі паставак, па-відаць, спазніліся, прымусілі іх вярнуцца ў Англію пры першай жа магчымасці – і калі сэр Фрэнсіс Дрэйк прыплыў на востраў Роанок, гэтая магчымасць прадставілася. Аднак пятнаццаць каланістаў заставаліся сачыць за крэпасцю і зямлёй, пра якую яны ўжо патрабавалі.

У чарговы раз перасякаючы Атлантыку падчас трэцяй экспедыцыі 1587 г., 117 мужчын, жанчын і дзяцей, якія маюць намер усталяваць пастаяннае паселішча і прадставіць рэальнае насельніцтва, абяцалі асобныя зямельныя ўчасткі.

Тым не менш, толькі адплыўшы назад на востраў Роанок, каб ізноў забяспечыць першапачатковыя 15, перш чым адправіцца ў глыб краіны, каб стварыць сваю вёску, яны не знайшлі пра іх ніякіх слядоў.

Джон Уайт, прызначаны губернатарам новай калоніі, вярнуўся ў Англію толькі таму, што быў прызначаны як кароткае падарожжа, але супярэчлівыя падзеі, уключаючы недахоп суднаў, з якімі плаваць, – перашкодзілі яго паўторнаму вылету да 1590 года. Гэтая паездка, разам з наступнымі ў пачатку 17-га стагоддзя таксама не ўдалося знайсці страчаных асаднікаў, якія, відавочна, пакінулі ззаду закінуты форт і некалькі артэфактаў.

Аднак ім было даручана размясціць паведамленне, калі яны абралі пакінуць тэрыторыю альбо калі непрадбачаныя падзеі апынуліся шкоднымі для іх бяспекі, і з гэтай мэтай літары "CRO" былі высечаны на дрэве і з'явілася поўнае слова "CROATAN". на варотах, спасылаючыся на мясцовае племя і, магчыма, прычыну іх знікнення.

Нягледзячы на ​​тое, што раскопкі працягваюцца, канчатковай прычыны так і не было знойдзена, у выніку чаго засталіся тры гіпотэзы: яны памерлі ад прыродных прычын, на іх напалі ці добраахвотна з'ехалі – але куды і якімі спосабамі ніколі не было вызначана, калі на самай справе гэта трэцяя тэорыя дакладная.

Частка гэтай гісторыі распавядаецца аб артэфактах, выяўленых пры раскопках форта і выстаўленых у музеі наведвальнікаў цэнтра Ліндсей Уорэн, галоўным момантам якога з'яўляецца дэкаратыўная драўляная ашалёўка, характэрная для елізабецінскага маёнтка, які калісьці ўпрыгожваў сцены Heronden Hall у Кенце, Англія. набыты Уільямам Рэндальфам Херстам у 1926 г. для ўласнага замка ў Сан-Сімяоне, штат Каліфорнія. Служба нацыянальнага парку набыла яго ў 1960-я гады. Памяшканні, такія, як у Цэнтры для наведвальнікаў, былі б распаўсюджаныя ў дамах заможных людзей, такіх як сам сэр Уолтар Рэлі.

Адкрытая сцежка вядзе да падмурка адноўленага землянога фарту. "На гэтым месцы," паводле каменнага маркера перад ім ", у ліпені-жніўні 1585 г. асаднікі, высланыя з Англіі сэр Уолтарам Рэлі, пабудавалі форт, названы імі" новым фортам у Вірджыніі ". Гэтыя каланісты былі першымі пасяленцамі ангельскай расы ў Амерыцы, і яны вярнуліся ў Англію ў ліпені 1586 г. разам са сэрам Фрэнсісам Дрэйкам, побач з гэтым месцам нарадзіўся 18 жніўня 1587 г. Вірджынія Дарэ, першае дзіця бацькоў англійскай мовы. нарадзіўся ў Амерыцы ".

Гістарычны аповед пра першых ангельскіх пасяленцаў, які называецца "сапраўднай гісторыяй прыгод, мужнасці і ахвярапрынашэння", якая "ўзбагачае, навучае і забаўляе", мае назву "Страчаная калонія" і праводзіцца з канца мая да канца. Жніўня на адкрытым паветры Тэатра на воднай пляцоўцы, на пляцоўцы Нацыянальнага гістарычнага месца Форт-Рэлі. Грунтуючыся на сюжэце, напісаным аўтарам Пулітцэраўскай прэміі Полам Грынам, ён быў упершыню выкананы ў 1937 годзе, але працуе з тых часоў і працуе ў складзе акцёраў з больш чым 100 акцёраў, спевакоў і танцораў, якія ўзнаўляюць падзеі, якія прывялі да першага знікненне асаднікаў з дапамогай каралеўскага тэатралізаванага прадстаўлення, індыйскага танца, эпічных бітваў, элізабецінскай музыкі і складаных касцюмаў.

Яшчэ адна мясцовая славутасць – Елізавецінскі сад, 10,5-гектарны батанічны сад, да якога звяртаюцца цагляныя і пяшчаныя сцяжынкі, які прапануе больш за тысячу гатункаў дрэў, кустоў і кветак.

"Створана для ўшанавання першых англійскіх каланістаў, якія ўпрыгожвалі гэтыя берагі", па дадзеных музея, ён тлумачыць: "Гісторыя, загадка і фантазія аб'ядноўваюцца ў гэтых спецыяльных садах, створаных Садовым клубам Паўночнай Караліны ў 1951 годзе як жывы мемарыял першыя ангельскія каланісты, якія прыйшлі даследаваць Новы Свет у 1584–1587 г. і пасяліцца на востраве Роанок ».

Згодна з шыльдаю перад Домам Брама, пад'ездам і крамай сувеніраў саду, "Спектакль" Сімфанічная адкрытая драма "Страчаная калонія" пасадзіў насеньне ў творчых розумах, якія ўпершыню прадумалі гэты сад ".

У гэтым спакойным аазісе ёсць шмат асноўных момантаў. Напрыклад, статуя каралевы Лізаветы I – самая вялікая ў свеце, якая ўшаноўвае яе, у той час як побач знаходзіцца меншая статуя Вірджыніі Дарэ. Цэглы ручной работы, лаўкі з гаргулькай, сезоннае красаванне, мармуровы стол і каменная птушыная ванна падкрэсліваюць выгляд саду на акадэмічны сад Roanoke Sound з тэраса з выглядам. Шпацыр па калёніі ўшаноўвае загінулых асаднікаў, якія калісьці хадзілі па гэтых берагах і былі высланы прыбярэжнымі раслінамі. Чарот з Ангела Норфолк быў выкарыстаны на саламяным даху рэплікі альтанкі 16 стагоддзя. Калекцыя Камеліі налічвае больш за 125 відаў гэтай кветкі, у той час як старажытны дуб захаваўся з часоў, калі асаднікі насялялі востраў у 1585 годзе.

Яшчэ адна славутасць вострава Роанок – акварыум Паўночнай Караліны, адзін з трох дзяржаўных аб'ектаў на ўзбярэжжы. Размешчаны, у прыватнасці, на беразе Roanoke Sound толькі ў некалькіх хвілінах ад рэгіянальнага аэрапорта графства Dare, ён намаляваны сваёй тэмай "Воды знешніх банкаў".

Прыбярэжная раўніна Паўночнай Караліны, як паказана на дысплеі "Прыбярэжныя прэсныя воды", забяспечвае дзікую прыроду разнастайнымі прэснаводнымі месцамі пражывання. Крыкі і рэкі цякуць праз балоты, пакосы і іншыя забалочаныя месцы на шляху да гукаў. Водныя шляхі звязваюць усе гэтыя асяроддзі пражывання, дазваляючы дзікім жывёлам пераходзіць з аднаго ў іншы.

Альбемарле Саунд сілкуецца сямі прэснаводных рэк. Каб выжыць у самім гуку, расліны і жывёлы павінны мець магчымасць прыстасавацца да зменаў салёнасці, якія самі ствараюцца дажджамі і скразнякамі.

Рачныя выдры і алігатары блукаюць па экспанаце "Балотныя ўгоддзі на краі", а ў іншыя экспанаты – "Марскія супольнасці" і "Адкрыты акіян".

Каардынацыйным цэнтрам акварыума з'яўляецца 285 000-галонны марскі салон "Могілкі Атлантыкі", на якім прадстаўлена больш за 200 рыб і самая вялікая калекцыя акул у Паўночнай Караліне.